Group Two / November Report


We started November with a brief research on the topic of prosthesis. First, we took a look at what a healthy human hand can do. Hand activity can be categorized as can be seen on the chart.

An opening and closing grip would require input, which we do not have in this case, se we had to think something more static. We tried to think of simple solutions, like attaching a hook to pull, a net to store or a rubber head to press with.


We continued with the brainstorming, finding new problems and trying to come up with new solutions. An other limitation beyond the lack of mobility is the easily attachable prosthesis base can not lift or hold much weight. On the other hand we learned about Luca could manage her tasks quite well already. We came to the conclusion to take a different approach. Instead of designing a prosthesis that would allow Luca to do something she could not already, we think of her disability as an opportunity and see if we can utilize her left arm in new, alternative ways.

3D Models

Our team’s modeling department (consisting of Ádám) designed 3D printable extensions for the prosthesis base, both for the flashlight and the magnet. Both objects are attached via inserting into a hollow cylinder. We chose a flashlight that we could fit such a way, that the switch would be outside and accessible.

The ball joint of the prosthetic was not necessary for our designs, and in the case of the flashlight it meant a problem, since the light moved around instead of pointing straight. Therefore we added a ring to the original design, that could be used to lock the joint in position.

As technical difficulties have occured in the university, we could not yet print-test the designs.


After Luca’s feedback on our ideas, we chose the magnet and the flashlight concepts to be useful and also feasible. By the next class we made quick drafts to test with her.

We tested the flashlight first. The idea was to free Luca’s right hand while using a flashlight. Even though a headlamp would suffice in a situation, we thought of this as an experimental way to utilize the left arm.

The reason the magnet came up is because Luca works a lot in her workshop and it would be helpful to collect nails, screws and pins. She can also hold these things securely, the nails for example while hammering with her other hand.

The testing sessions went really well, Luca had fun trying the designs, which was partially our goal. She especially sound the magnet useful, so much so that we gave her the prototype. The semester ended on a positive note, even if we could not print our prototype, we came up with something useful.